- Volunteer Opportunities
Employment Opportunities (1)
Position Title: Custodian, part-time, Support Services Department
Date posted: October 12, 2016
Closing: October 23, 2016
Our Library is busy! We are looking for someone who takes pride in their work, has an eye for detail, has cleaning experience, and loves to work with all kinds of people. Apply for this job if you are energetic – love going the extra mile—and if you want a job where every day is a challenge, full of variety!
- Perform varied tasks related to cleaning and maintenance of our 51,000 square foot building, such as cleaning restrooms, sweeping, mopping, trash and recycle collection, purchasing and restocking supplies, assembling and arranging furniture, patching/painting walls, adjusting timers and clocks, changing light bulbs and filters, and more
- Shampooing of carpets and upholstered furniture
- Outside groundskeeping, such as daily watering, weeding, litter pick-up, and clearing sidewalks of snow and ice as needed
- Setting up meeting rooms
- Positive attitude and experience in delivering outstanding customer service
Skills & abilities: friendly, helpful, and willing to help co-workers and customers; knowledgeable about cleaning procedures; motivated to work quickly with an eye for detail; basic computer and email skills; excellent workplace attendance, dependability, and willingness to accept change; manual dexterity; physical strength and agility sufficient to perform routine manual tasks; work ethically; exhibit mature and creative problem solving; ability to adapt to unexpected custodial situations
Hours: 19 hours per week, including mornings, afternoons, evenings, and weekends.
Required qualificatoins: Position requires a High School diploma or equivalent. Previous custodial and maintenance experience required. Must have a valid driver's license and safe driving record. Must be able to communicate appropriately with staff and customers. Must be able to perform in a fast-paced environment and be on your feet the entire shift. Must be able to safely lift 50 pounds.
Salary: This position is 19 hours/week, at a rate of $12.24/hour
To apply: Complete the job application and send with a resume to:
Gayle Tucker, HR Manager
Bloomington Public Library
205 E. Olive St.
Bloomington, IL 61701
Bloomington Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Volunteer Opportunities (2)
Open Volunteer Position
Position Title: Volunteer
Department: Book Shoppe
Your public library needs you!! Business is great and we want to make you a partner in the excitement. We are looking for detail-oriented, friendly individuals to volunteer in our used Book Shoppe. If you want retail experience, you can help price and re-stock our shelves once or twice a week; if you want a little more physical activity, we need help sorting and collecting books on our monthly Saturday Donation Days. If you love action and people, we have a "job" for you!
- Accuracy is the key to successfully completing the responsibilities of this opportunity—great attention to detail is necessary for performing these duties accurately
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions, learn assigned tasks, and adhere to prescribed routines
- Ability to provide friendly, quality service to both internal and external customers
- Ability to clearly communicate in the English language
- Have access to and user knowledge of an active email account
- Ability to transport books and other materials
- Ability to bend, kneel, stretch, lift, and push up to 50 pounds
If you are ready to help out, email
Open Volunteer Position
Position Title: Movie Host
Department: Adult Services
Are you a movie buff looking for a volunteer opportunity? If that's the case, Movie Host might just be the volunteer opportunity you've been seeking.
Duties of the Movie Host include:
- Host movie showings at the library
- Pop and bag popcorn and wipe down the popcorn machine after use
- Greet movie watchers
- Report any problems to staff
- Count the number of customers in attendance
- Report the attendance number to Adult Services Desk staff
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Volunteer must be 18 years of age or older
If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, please email