- Volunteer Opportunities
Employment Opportunities (1)
Position Title: Library Assistant, part-time, Circulation and Outreach Services
Date posted: June 16, 2016
Our Check Out desk is busy! We are looking for someone who loves to work with all kinds of people and provide them with excellent service. The position involves helping customers with self check and self return systems, accessing the catalog, finding items, negotiating fees, issuing new accounts, shelving books and other materials, and more. Must be able to effectively communicate with customers (in person, over the phone, and via email), including listening, speaking, and comprehension. Apply for this position if you are energetic, enjoy serving people, and if you want a job where every day is full of variety and challenge.
This position seeks a customer service oriented candidate, with experience and a desire to provide generous customer service. Preferably, the candidate will enjoy helping customers, providing phenomenal service, be interested in libraries and what they do as institutions for the communities they serve. Must be willing to help build and maintain this type of ideal library.
- Staff the Check Out Desk and provide top quality, customer-focused interactions to customers of all ages who visit the library or contact the library by telephone
- Utilize the library's computer system and email
- Maintain files and detailed library records
- Perform basic circulation functions
- Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, positive attitude, proactive
- Ability to transport books within the library building
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and lift
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
Hours: 19 per week, to include mornings, afternoons, evenings, and alternating weekends. The hours of this position change as departmental needs change.
Education: Position requires a High School Diploma or equivalent.
Salary: $11.07 per hour
Closing: June 26, 2016
To apply: Complete the job application, and submit with a resume to:
Gayle Tucker, HR Manager
Bloomington Public Library
205 E. Olive St.
Bloomington, IL 61701
Bloomington Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Volunteer Opportunities (2)
Open Volunteer Position
Position Title: Volunteer
Department: Book Shoppe
Your public library needs you!! Business is great and we want to make you a partner in the excitement. We are looking for detail-oriented, friendly individuals to volunteer in our used Book Shoppe. If you want retail experience, you can help price and re-stock our shelves once or twice a week; if you want a little more physical activity, we need help sorting and collecting books on our monthly Saturday Donation Days. If you love action and people, we have a "job" for you!
- Accuracy is the key to successfully completing the responsibilities of this opportunity—great attention to detail is necessary for performing these duties accurately
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions, learn assigned tasks, and adhere to prescribed routines
- Ability to provide friendly, quality service to both internal and external customers
- Ability to clearly communicate in the English language
- Have access to and user knowledge of an active email account
- Ability to transport books and other materials
- Ability to bend, kneel, stretch, lift, and push up to 50 pounds
If you are ready to help out, email
Open Volunteer Position
Position Title: Movie Host
Department: Adult Services
Are you a movie buff looking for a volunteer opportunity? If that's the case, Movie Host might just be the volunteer opportunity you've been seeking.
Duties of the Movie Host include:
- Host movie showings at the library
- Pop and bag popcorn and wipe down the popcorn machine after use
- Greet movie watchers
- Report any problems to staff
- Count the number of customers in attendance
- Report the attendance number to Adult Services Desk staff
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Volunteer must be 18 years of age or older
If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, please email